Monday, June 16, 2008

Salad of the Week: Garlic Scapes with Apple, Artichoke, and Sheep Brebis


Today's lunch turned into a blog-caliber treat. I started with garlic scapes, an ingredient whose name and appearance I felt was worth my bewilderment, but once I cooked up and tried these tasty tendrils, the rest came together...

Ingredients
Bed of red and green baby lettuce topped with:
Garlic scapes sauteed in extra virgin olive oil
Marinated and quartered artichoke hearts
Chopped Pink Lady apples
Chopped walnuts
Sheep brebis crumbles from Highland Farm
Julienned purple and yellow sage from the garden
A drizzle of sweet balsamic vinegar

This was my first time preparing and eating garlic scapes. I followed the recommended cooking method of sauteing in olive oil and checking for done-ness and found them to have a delicate garlic flavor that was very complimentary to the other ingredients. The texture was nice, not unlike thin asparagus spears, but I found the tips a bit tough so I will be cutting them off before cooking next time. Overall, this salad was wonderful and filling (Elaine Benes would be proud); a great success!

No comments: