Sunday, June 22, 2008

Red Barn Vineyard??






Photos by Maria & Boris

As the seasons pass, I'm slowly discovering all the secrets Red Barn Farm, our home, has to reveal. Last year I was delighted to discover our grape arbor amidst a massive pile of weeds. I cleared everything out leaving the vines exposed where I had found them and was able to salvage a few bowls of concord grapes before the end of the season. Nevertheless, other projects prevailed and the weeds were back with vengeance this year. I readily accepted my denial of the mess due to more immediate chores until this weekend when we were very fortunate to have our friends Maria and Boris up to help tackle the task of properly setting up the grape arbor, sans weeds. Right now the vines are recovering from a major overhaul and look a little frumpy, but I know we'll see the improvement in grape yield for seasons to come. This land is truly ripe with inspiration.

We also discovered some wild blackberries and mulberries today. I'm very excited about the blackberries and couldn't resist staining my fingers and snacking on them right off the vine, but haven't the foggiest idea what to do with the mulberries... they taste like cotton balls!

No comments: