Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The First Step: Check!

The beginning of the new year brought a tiring head cold and a week working long hours at the job-jobs. Although working was very worthwhile and I had a lot of fun, my mind kept drifting back to unpacking and setting up my brand new jewelers bench. Acquiring my new bench was a landmark that has one significant meaning: freedom. I'm actually not exaggerating here. In order to have good body mechanics, jewelers have to work at a certain height. As hard to accept as it may be, the big 3-0 will be hitting me soon enough and my back has a funny way of reminding me. This means no more leaning over my projects until I'm stiff or putting things off until I have a more comfortable place to work. A jewelers bench also has a tray to catch metal scraps and shavings, an expensive loss if disposed of or left to the mice, and some other features I can't wait to use; it's the small things really... I now have drawers! A Christmas present to myself, we picked up all 96 pounds in New Jersey on our last installment of the holiday travels, and I'm proud to announce, I'm all set up!

First on the agenda is to finish some gifts that needed tweaking after the holidays. Once those projects are complete, I can get back to some designs and castings from a while back that have been swimming around in my head for over a year now. My basic studio still needs a few small things (expensive equipment will come with sales and progress), but all in all, I'm ready to get started! Note: small victory parade marching in background.

No comments: