Friday, October 5, 2007

Antique Purse of the Week: Silver, Gold & Black

Above: French, gold toned frame and chain, beaded body in gold, silver, and black colored glass.

Recently a very special family member gifted me an amazing antique purse collection. Needless to say I feel honored to have received this breathtaking collection. As a jeweler and a craftsperson, I really appreciate the attention to detail, the varied designs, and the care taken to create these intricate pieces. To think that someone once spent countless hours sewing, crocheting, beading, and assembling these tiny works of art is impressive to say the least. Women's finery has certainly changed quite a bit! Due to their age and materials, several of the handbags require some TLC, but are still very impressive despite their disrepair. I wish I had the occasion to take each one out for a spin, but many of them are so delicate and formal... not to mention too small to hold my wallet, cell phone, and keys! As I take the first steps toward researching their repair and preservation, I've decided to share my purses in a unique way... with this little 'ol blog! I hope you enjoy this special collection as I have in the weeks to come. Stay tuned also for compacts and other refinements.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm truly impressed!! Your photography and comments are wonderful and the artwork is, as always, beautiful....like its creator. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.