Monday, March 2, 2009

What I'm Watching


It seems out here on the blogosphere, there's a lot of "What I'm Reading" posts. While I love to read, there seems to be little time to devote to completing my books with any regularity (I have several started with no end in sight).

I was inspired by a recent NPR segment about the current state of television with the prevelance of online streaming via websites such as Hulu and the network websites. While I have little faith in television, I've had better luck finding quality movies. That, and I have more availability for a movie here and there (especially with the assistance of instant watch via Netflix) than I do for regular TV watching. Therefore, this is my "What I'm Watching" post. :) We'll see if I come accross more blog-worthy films...

I will start with the documentary Helvetica, a well researched and executed film that discusses the advent of the popular Swiss font and follows it through the backlash that followed including detailed design studies and some great interviews with the key players of the time. Regardless of your personal feelings about this staple typeface that permeates all facets of popular culture, those with an appreciation for typography, graphic design, or design in general, will appreciate the documentary, Helvetica. Highly recommended! Available via Netflix instant watch!

Note: I wanted to post this entry using Helvetica, but blogger doesn't provide it as an option. Bloggggger?!

No comments: