Monday, September 22, 2008

Giant Puffballs!

As a response to Annie of Imogene's post (her photo above) about this little known autumnal mystery giganto-fungus, I report that I have limited "field" experience due to our giant puffballs (Calvatia gigantea) meeting their untimely demise in a freak lawnmower accident. I did come across another few on a camping trip with a bunch of seventh graders last week, and thought they would play an ideal role in a s'mores related prank, but sadly, I wimped out. Nevertheless, I will be plucking the next giant puffball I see (that has not gone to spore yet) for some serious research... dinner! Whether this year or next, I will report my findings.

Annie, it looks like someone's been nibbling your puffball!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

eeek! it wasn't i who nibbled it, that's for sure. i am a HUGE fan of mushrooms. i once ate at a "mushroom only" restaurant in beijing, china. but i am very, very afraid of mr. giant puffball. it looks like he could eat ME!